This lesson is focused on providing students a framework to evaluate the long-term sustainability of an agricultural system. To help ensure comprehension of the topic, the lesson includes discussion questions on the idea of a sustainable choice, several videos addressing topics in sustainability, and case studies for students to evaluate from a sustainability perspective.
Duration: 90 Minutes
- Describe the three-legged-stool model of sustainability.
- Analyze the factors and outcomes of the Dust Bowl.
- Identify potential sustainability challenges in agriculture.
- Define what makes a choice sustainable.
I. Introductory Set: Class Discussion
Begin the lesson with a class discussion on what it means to be sustainable. Please reference the slide notes for additional information and a deeper explanation of the discussion.
II. Lesson Body: Slide Presentation
You will use the slide presentation to deliver the core of this lesson. Within the slides are videos and links to supporting media. Please reference the slide notes for additional information and a deeper explanation of the lesson topic.
III. Supporting Activity: Sustainability Case Studies
- Environmental Sustainability
- Economic Sustainability
- Social Sustainability
- Three-legged-stool Philosophy
- Dust Bowl